I am immensely proud to be elected as the representative of Stockport, I will work ceaselessly to campaign against the injustices that run through Stockport, and hold this Conservative government to account. Navendu Mishra MP
Navendu Mishra was elected as the Member of Parliament for Stockport at the 2019 General Election.
He is deeply honoured to be able to represent the area where he and his family live.
Before entering politics, Navendu worked as a shop-floor trade unionist in Stockport, before becoming an organiser for Unison trade union, where he organised care workers in precarious employment fight against their condition.
Navendu was a member of the Labour Party’s National Executive Committee between 2018 and his election to Parliament in December 2019, serving as one of the nine Constituency Labour Party representatives.
Since being elected, Navendu joined the Socialist Campaign Group of MPs, and is a member of several All Party Parliamentary Groups, including Rail, Fairtrade, Woods & Trees, Cricket and Beer.
In addition, he is a member of Unite and USDAW trade unions.
In January 2020 Navendu was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to Shadow Secretary of State for Education Angela Rayner. After her election as Chair and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party in April 2020, Navendu was again appointed as Angela’s PPS.
Navendu’s policy interests include transport, environment and housing.
He has outlined a number of key priorities for his constituents in Stockport, including:
- Ensuring high numbers of good quality social and affordable homes are built in Stockport
- Improving public transport to make it affordable, reliable and frequent and campaign to bring Metrolink network into our constituency
- Give people hope for the future with investment in high quality green jobs. Part of this is fighting climate change to leave a healthy planet for future generations
- Ensure security and dignity for older people by stopping planned increases in retirement age beyond 66 and fair treatment of 1950s born women
- Fund our schools properly so that all our children get a first class education, a broad curriculum and access to the support they need to reach their full potential
- Exclude our NHS from any future trade deals and make sure that all our public services are properly funded. Campaign against privatisation
- Introduce a real living wage of £10 per hour (minimum) for all workers regardless of age
- Bring water, rail and mail back into public ownership so that they are run for people not private profit